Apple to release software update for iPhone slowdown

Apple to release software update for iPhone slowdown

Apple will release a test version of its iOS software next month that shows users the health of their batteries and will let them turn off a phone-slowing feature meant to prevent sudden shutdowns in iPhones with older batteries, Cook said in an interview with ABC News on Wednesday.

Cook said the phone-slowing software, released last year, was intended to make sure that iPhone users did not get cut off in the middle of an important call or text message because of an old battery.

We will tell somebody we are reducing your performance by some amount in order to not have an unexpected restart, and if you don’t want it, you can turn it off,” Cook said. e don’t recommend it because we think that people’s iPhones are really important to them and you can never tell when something is so urgent. r actions were all in service of the user.

An Apple spokeswoman declined to comment beyond Cook’s remarks or say when the update would be available to consumers.

Apple confirmed on Dec. 20 that software in iPhone 6, iPhone 6s and iPhone SE models to deal with dangers from ageing batteries could slow down the phone’s performance. Within days, Apple faced lawsuits over the phone slowing.

The issue struck a nerve on social media, where many voiced a theory that Apple intentionally slows down older phones to encourage customers to buy new ones. No credible evidence has emerged that Apple has ever done so. On Dec. 28, Apple issued a public apology to customers over the battery issue and said it has never purposely shortened the life of its products.

Apple also lowered the price of battery replacements for affected models from $79 to $29. The lower price could prod many consumers to replace their battery instead of buying a new phone, which in turn could lead to lower iPhone sales for 2018, Barclays analysts said in a note earlier this month.

Read more...

IDN TAKE: The Baltic States: Gained Dependence

IDN TAKE: The Baltic States: Gained Dependence

by Adomas Abromaitis

Future of Europe is still uncertain. Though security is the real priority for all countries, each of them understands the process of achieving security by its own.

Lithuanian and Latvian authorities increased political activity and intensified preparing to NATO summit that will take place in Brussels in July 2018. It is

Read more...

Modi Govt Saddling India’s Military With More Bureaucracy

Modi Govt Saddling India’s Military With More Bureaucracy

by Prakash Katoch

Recent media reports indicate that India’s Ministry of Defense (MoD) has decided to allow private companies to manage and operate all Army Base Workshops (ABWs) and station workshops in eight cities across six states. The scheme is called GOCO (Government Owned, Contractor Managed).

Ostensibly, the move is part of a major

Read more...

Rory McIlroy back in the swing in Abu Dhabi as Tommy Fleetwood sets pace

  • Published in Sports
Rory McIlroy back in the swing in Abu Dhabi as Tommy Fleetwood sets pace • Tommy Fleetwood one shot clear of Fabrizio Zanotti
• McIlroy: ‘There were no mistakes, I played very solidly, very smart’

As Rory McIlroy was happy enough to admit, the company he kept for his first competitive round in 106 days was as significant as the accomplished nature of what he produced in the Abu Dhabi Championship. Finding 17 greens in

Read more...

Kyle Edmund wins trial of spirit against Nikoloz Basilashvili in 40C heat

  • Published in Sports
Britain’s Kyle Edmund
  • Britain’s last remaining player wins 7-6 (0), 3-6, 4-6, 6-0, 7-5
  • ‘It was tough, but it was tough for him too,’ says Edmund

There was no hiding place from the unrelenting sun – except beneath shifting slivers of shade – on day five of the 2018 Australian Open, but the fair-skinned Yorkshireman, Kyle Edmund managed to stagger past Nikoloz Basilashvili

Read more...

India test-fires powerful Agni-V missile

India test-fired the nuclear-capable inter-continental ballistic missile, Agni-V, on Thursday, January 18 from the Abdul Kalam island off Odisha coast.

The missile was fired from launch pad number 4 of ITR at 9. 53 am, reported OTV News.


India missile

  • It is a solid propellant surface-to-surface missile.
  • Its weight has been pegged at over 50 tonnes and it's 17-metre long.
  • The missile could be inducted into the Strategic Forces Command (SFC), reported Times Now.
Read more...

2G scam: A Raja challenges ex-CAG

New Delhi: Former telecom minister and DMK leader A Raja has challenged Vinod Rai, ex government auditor, to a debate on the allocation of 2G spectrum, billed as one of India's biggest corruption scams. Mr Raja was acquitted in the case by a trial court last month.

Vinod Rai is like a cat that closes its eyes to declare the world is dark. I challenge him via your channel. Come have a debate. Let's look at facts. The entire CAG agreed there was no loss so why did Vinod Rai say this motivated thing," Mr Raja said to NDTV on Thursday, a day before his book "2G Saga Unfolds" is released.

In 2010, Vinod Rai was the Comptroller and Auditor General or CAG at the head of the constitutional body that audits government expenses when he alleged in a scathing report that Mr Raja, as telecom minister, caused the tax payer a loss of 1. 76 lakh crore by allotting 2G spectrum licenses at throwaway prices. Mr Raja was forced to resign in 2010 just before the CAG report was to be tabled in parliament and later was jailed for 15 months in the case.

Last month, the trial court said the CBI had failed to prove charges against Mr Raja and 17 others accused in the 2G case. They were all acquitted.

The Congress which led the national coalition UPA that was in power at the centre at the time, has said the 2G verdict "will remain a black mark in the history of CAG" and has demanded Mr Rai be prosecuted. The 69-year-old former bureaucrat is currently chief of committee of cricket administrators.

Mr Raja today said that he has "grievances" against the Congress' Dr Manmohan Singh, who was his boss then as Prime Minister. I am not angry but I have my grievances,'' Mr Raja said about the way he was treated.

The CBI had accused Mr Raja of misleading Dr Singh through letters on several key processes in the allocation of 2G spectrum, including those related to the policy of granting licences.

The judge who acquitted the DMK leader last month held that it was officials in the Prime Minister's Office (PMO) who had kept Dr Singh in the dark.

In an emotional letter to Manmohan Singh after he was acquitted, Mr Raja had said he was disappointed at the former PM not trusting him. Now that the truth about 2G is out in the open, perhaps you too could come forward in my support, which you could not earlier," he wrote, and also, "Neither of us could have imagined the twists and turns in our political and personal lives over the next ten years. It cost you the UPA government and it took seven years of my life including 15 months in jail.

Dr Singh responded saying he was happy that Mr Raja was vindicated. You and your family have suffered greatly in this process but all your friends are greatly relieved that truth has prevailed," the former PM said.

Read more...
Subscribe to this RSS feed