CAIRO, July 15. /TASS/. The Russian woman stabbed by a knifeman in Egypt’s Hurghada fought back, Russia’s Charg· D’affaires to Egypt Artyom Polyakov told TASS on Saturday.
"Our fellow countrywoman happened to be a very courageous woman as she was fending off the knife attacker fearlessly in Hurghada," Polyakov said, adding that her bravery could have possibly saved her life.
"The attacker did not expect such resistance from the Russian woman and switched to other tourists," the Russian diplomat said.
"She was defending herself from the knife so her hand and arm were mostly injured," he said, adding "her face was cut a few times, too."
"Her condition is satisfactory, she can walk by herself, but is in an unstable mental, post-traumatic condition," Polyakov said.
The woman "has accepted Egypt’s proposal to get moved to Cairo for further treatment." In hospital, she will undergo a comprehensive medical check-up and then plastic surgery, the diplomat said. "The treatment might be long and will probably take weeks," he added.
Russian diplomats keep in contact with Egyptian authorities, law enforcement agencies and hospital management.
"We are ready to provide any possible and necessary assistance to our fellow countrywoman at any time," Polyakov said.
On Friday, a man attacked foreigners with a knife on the beach of a hotel in the Egyptian resort of Hurghada. Two German female tourists were stabbed to death in the attack. Two female tourists from Armenia, a woman from the Czech Republic and another from Russia were injured.
- Russia's naval updates threaten undersea comms network, says top British military officer
- El Hadary: Egypt are one family
- US woman tried to use Bitcoin to aid IS: Federal Prosecutors
- Guns, drugs, and RPGs: An inside look at how ISIS fought the world
- Making sense of CHAMP, the silver bullet miracle missile that isn’t
- 10 Facts, Claims, And Theories About The Great Sphinx Of Giza
- Uruguay hosts world's biggest barbecue beating Argentina
- Joshua Holt: Venezuela court rules US man to be tried on weapons charges
- Federal budget deficit amounts to 0.7% of GDP in 11 months — Russian Finance Ministry
- Diplomat says US fails to present evidence of INF Treaty violations by Russia
- FIFA: Some 2 mln ticket requests for 2018 World Cup received within one week
- Vladimir Putin’s news conferences in facts and figures
- Lia launches world's first flushable pregnancy test
- Germany to boost support for victims after criticism over handling of terrorist attack
- Everything you need to know about having a baby in Germany
- Jazz in the winter sun
- India-Russia Talks on S-400 Air Defence System at 'Profound Stage', Contract Anytime: Russian Official
- Russia Pitches For India's Participation In OBOR
- Russia to Help Pakistan Dismantle Terror Infrastructure On its Soil - Russian Foreign Minister
- 'Treated like criminals': two tourists describe their ordeal with Munich ticket inspectors