Authors: TheIndianSubcontinent News Agency
A group of Peruvian writers has condemned a decision by the authorities to pardon former president Alberto Fujimori on health grounds.
Among the writers who signed the letter is the Nobel Prize-winning author Mario Vargas Llosa.
President Pedro Pablo Kuczynski pardoned Mr Fujimori last Sunday.
The former leader was serving a lengthy prison sentence for human rights abuses and corruption during his time in office in the 1990s.
The writers, who sent a signed letter to the Spanish news agency Efe, said President Kuczynski's decision was illegal and irresponsible.
They called it a disgrace for Peru.
On Thursday, a group of United Nations human rights officials called it a slap in the face for victims of Mr Fujimori's government.
Thousands of people have taken to the streets in Lima and other cities to protest against the decision.
Mr Fujimori's critics consider him a corrupt dictator.
Earlier this week, Mr Kuczynski acknowledged the anger triggered by his decision but said he could not "allow Alberto Fujimori to die in prison".Image copyright Image caption
Supporters of the former leader say it was a humanitarian gesture.
They praise him for combating Maoist rebels of the Shining Path movement in the 1990s.
- Newgen Software IPO progresses slowly, subscribed 5%
- Sisters steal baby boy to stop father from remarrying
- Quality Health is trending at 10 in India
- iVOOMi i1 Sale is trending at 9 in India
- #PravinTogadia is trending at 8 in India
- Colin de Grandhomme is trending at 7 in India
- ICC Code of Conduct is trending at 6 in India
- #BreatheTrailer is trending at 5 in India
- #tphoneP is trending at 4 in India
- #PatanjaliOnline is trending at 3 in India
- #HappyBirthdaySidharthMalhotra is trending at 2 in India
- Barmer is trending at 1 in India
- Extremely rare 'firework' jelly fish spotted near Mexico
- Beautiful snow sculptures from around the world
- World's fifth largest diamond discovered in Lesotho
- Museums of unusual things around the world
- Chinese 'rainbow dinosaur' had iridescent feathers
- These are the most talented dogs on the internet
- Enjoying the high life, up on the roof in Tel Aviv
- Le smartphone? France has another term in mind